July 6, 2010

Tabby Keeping Cool Under a Doggie Umbrella!


Heat Wave

I can’t get over it
Last summer was so mild
But now the Gods are making up for it
“Suffer ye sinners!” they say

Aside from the obvious - Sweat
A slight loss of appetite
Listlessness
Reluctance to rise
A sudden genius for not-working
excuses I notice it in my cat

“My God!” I holler to my wife.
“I think Tabby is dead.”
Tabby lay on the living room floor
stretched out full-length
“She doesn’t even move
when I call her name –

Tabby! Tabby!
My God! Tabby!”

I’m wringing my hands.
Do I dare touch her?
Do I really want to
confirm my worst fear?

But I do…

I touch her. That soft hot fur
I can’t detect any breathing
Tears are starting to well

Then -

Just a faint twitch of her tail
She rises suddenly
Walks slowly off
Quite annoyed
As though to say –

“Why the hell you have to touch me man?
Why you wanta bother me?
Don’t you know that the best thing
a long-hair kitty can do
in this heat is SLEEP!”


Submtted to 'Expressions' ~
A Dear Friend and Huge Cat Lover - David Austin, MI